Hiring a good moving company is vitally important when it comes to reducing stress levels when moving home. So what do you need to look for in a company to give you that added assurance that things will run smooth on the day of your move?
- Use a reputable company
- Careful packaging
Before the date of your move, it is likely you will receive a visit from the company you will be hiring. This is your chance to ask all the questions you need to ensure you have the peace of mind in knowing that your belongings are in good hands.
A good tip is to write down what you want to know before the day you meet with the company, this way you won’t forget anything. Write down anything that comes to mind regardless of how obvious some of the questions might be.
The more preparation that goes into your move the less stress you feel when it comes to the day of your move.
Alford Moving Companies – Get Moving!
Summer time is prime moving time for families. Many families save big cross country moves until summer so their kids won't miss any school. One parent may have already started working in another city or state, but they commute back and forth every week until it is time for the big move.
My family has moved three times in the last two years and I moved all the time as a kid, so I consider myself a moving expert. Whether you are planning your first move or your tenth, it will go more smoothly with some advance planning. I have put together a moving check-list by month to keep you from forgetting important information.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE
* You don't need to fill the moving van with items you don't need anymore. Clean out your old house by having a garage sale and donating items that don't sell to a charity.
* Call your friends and family and schedule time with them before you move. Put the dates on a calendar. Your life will get crazy and you want to make time to see everyone before you move.
* Meet with several moving companies and obtain estimates. Ask for references from previous clients before choosing a moving company.
* If you are packing yourself you need to start collecting boxes for the move. You always need more than you think. YOu will also need plenty of packing tape.
* Buy a special notebook or binder to keep all of the important move information. You can keep the phone number of realtors, moving companies, utilities, schools, etc. in one handy location.
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
* Begin gathering all of the school and medical records you need for your family. The schools in your new town will need records from the previous school. Gather records from doctors and dentists to take to your new doctors. It is much easier to get them now, than to try to get them later. Don't forget to get pet records from your veterinarian.
* Fill out a change of address card at the post office. Send postcards to friends and relatives announcing your new address.
* Tell the following businesses about your new address:
Credit card companies
Magazines or newspapers you subscribe to
Employer (to forward last paycheck)
* Start packing basements or little used areas of your house such as the attic or the garage.
* Set up bank accounts in your new city.
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
* Make any special arrangements for the day of the move for your children or your pets. While the boxes are being loaded onto the moving van you may want pets and very small children to stay with relatives or a babysitter for the day. The house will be wide open, the air will be off and there will be a lot of noise and confusion. Once my cat was bubblewrapped inside a sofa during a moving day. It took a long time to figure out where she was.
* Get valuables out of your safe deposit box. Keep them with you during the move. Have the money from your existing bank accounts wired to your new accounts. It may take another week or two for all of your checks to clear so you can close out old accounts.
* Set up a date to turn off your old utilities and turn on the utilities at the new house. Don't forget to subscribe to the paper in your new town if you read a paper every morning. If you have been a good utility customer you should be able to get your deposits back.
* Start using the food in the refrigerator so there won't be much left on the day of the move. Defrost your freezer and clean out the refrigerator.
DAY OF THE MOVE
* Have a box of items that need to come off the moving truck first. This box will contain cleaning supplies, brooms, dustpans, etc. You will probably need to clean up some of the rooms in your new house before the boxes are unloaded.
* Double-check every closet, cupboard, and room before you lock up the house and leave.
* Tip your movers before they leave in the moving van. Moving is hard work and they deserve it.
Moving and Storage With Self Storage Companies
You start accumulating things and investing in household appliances. You realize how much you have bought and stored over the years only when it is time to move to anther location. This is when you realize you have a whole pile of paraphernalia to move. This is a highly strenuous task and can get on your nerves if you don't have a proper space to store your goods before you take them to your new place.
Self storage companies are now available that offer various sizes of storage facilities depending on your needs. They also provide you with other moving needs. If you need a place to store your items, self storage companies provide you with one. This will reduce your burden and moving will be less stressful for you. When you decide to relocate and start emptying your house, you realize there are lots of items that you wouldn't need in near future and yet like to keep. Storage and moving companies readily take up all those items for you and stores them securely until you are ready to pick them back again.
There are basically two attractions in this offer. First, you get to store your goods safe and secure without bothering about them until you need them. Second, you can save a whole lot of space in your new living apartment without bothering to store unnecessary items. All you need to do is go online and browse through the list of storage and moving companies. What you need to look for are companies that are closer to your living space. There are companies that offer a wide range of facilities for people who are moving. This includes arrangement of rental trucks, and other moving and storage options. You just need to choose the facility that best serves your purpose.
Storage companies are located all over the country and so finding one close to your living place may not be really difficult. If you only need storage services for a short time, it will not be a trouble at all. On the other hand, if you are planning for long term storage, it will be best to opt for plans that provide long term storage for low costs. You will need to negotiate with the dealer on this. It will also be a good idea to go through the services of different storage companies and compare between their plans and prices. This way, you can select the best plan for the best price.
Storage companies provide you with a whole lot of options to choose from. Mobile storage units are available. They are portable storage units that are picked up and taken to the new location. Such services ensure you safe delivery of commodities to the place you are relocating to. They also securely store it in their company as per your demands. This is an effective method for short term storage. Cost saving green construction storage units is also slowly rising up. These storage companies do not erect new buildings, instead reuses an old establishment. Thus, storage companies are now found in rural and urban areas now.