Hiring a good moving company is vitally important when it comes to reducing stress levels when moving home. So what do you need to look for in a company to give you that added assurance that things will run smooth on the day of your move?
- Use a reputable company
- Careful packaging
Before the date of your move, it is likely you will receive a visit from the company you will be hiring. This is your chance to ask all the questions you need to ensure you have the peace of mind in knowing that your belongings are in good hands.
A good tip is to write down what you want to know before the day you meet with the company, this way you won’t forget anything. Write down anything that comes to mind regardless of how obvious some of the questions might be.
The more preparation that goes into your move the less stress you feel when it comes to the day of your move.
Largo Moving Companies – Get Moving!
Summer time is prime moving time for families. Many families save big cross country moves until summer so their kids won't miss any school. One parent may have already started working in another city or state, but they commute back and forth every week until it is time for the big move.
My family has moved three times in the last two years and I moved all the time as a kid, so I consider myself a moving expert. Whether you are planning your first move or your tenth, it will go more smoothly with some advance planning. I have put together a moving check-list by month to keep you from forgetting important information.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE
* You don't need to fill the moving van with items you don't need anymore. Clean out your old house by having a garage sale and donating items that don't sell to a charity.
* Call your friends and family and schedule time with them before you move. Put the dates on a calendar. Your life will get crazy and you want to make time to see everyone before you move.
* Meet with several moving companies and obtain estimates. Ask for references from previous clients before choosing a moving company.
* If you are packing yourself you need to start collecting boxes for the move. You always need more than you think. YOu will also need plenty of packing tape.
* Buy a special notebook or binder to keep all of the important move information. You can keep the phone number of realtors, moving companies, utilities, schools, etc. in one handy location.
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
* Begin gathering all of the school and medical records you need for your family. The schools in your new town will need records from the previous school. Gather records from doctors and dentists to take to your new doctors. It is much easier to get them now, than to try to get them later. Don't forget to get pet records from your veterinarian.
* Fill out a change of address card at the post office. Send postcards to friends and relatives announcing your new address.
* Tell the following businesses about your new address:
Credit card companies
Magazines or newspapers you subscribe to
Employer (to forward last paycheck)
* Start packing basements or little used areas of your house such as the attic or the garage.
* Set up bank accounts in your new city.
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
* Make any special arrangements for the day of the move for your children or your pets. While the boxes are being loaded onto the moving van you may want pets and very small children to stay with relatives or a babysitter for the day. The house will be wide open, the air will be off and there will be a lot of noise and confusion. Once my cat was bubblewrapped inside a sofa during a moving day. It took a long time to figure out where she was.
* Get valuables out of your safe deposit box. Keep them with you during the move. Have the money from your existing bank accounts wired to your new accounts. It may take another week or two for all of your checks to clear so you can close out old accounts.
* Set up a date to turn off your old utilities and turn on the utilities at the new house. Don't forget to subscribe to the paper in your new town if you read a paper every morning. If you have been a good utility customer you should be able to get your deposits back.
* Start using the food in the refrigerator so there won't be much left on the day of the move. Defrost your freezer and clean out the refrigerator.
DAY OF THE MOVE
* Have a box of items that need to come off the moving truck first. This box will contain cleaning supplies, brooms, dustpans, etc. You will probably need to clean up some of the rooms in your new house before the boxes are unloaded.
* Double-check every closet, cupboard, and room before you lock up the house and leave.
* Tip your movers before they leave in the moving van. Moving is hard work and they deserve it.
Moving Tips - 5 Money Saving Moving Tips
Moving is not only a stressful procedure, it could likewise be an extremely pricey one. If you use professional movers, the overall price tag could range from around $1,000 (for a little, regional move) to even more than $20,000 (for a big, cross-country or international action).
Right here a couple of pointers on saving money on your relocation:
- Produce a budget plan. Use a spending plan to note all the expenditures of your upcoming step, consisting of all the line items from any type of quotes you receive. After that use this as a preparation device to pick the very best deal at the very best rate.
- Lose some weight. The majority of the expense is owned by the weight of the items delivered. That means that getting rid of items from your relocation (especially heavy products like old furnishings and books) could decrease the final tab considerably. Aim to lower the overall by 1/3.
- Get at least 3 in-home quotes. Having dependable firms compete for your company does two points: it aids you negotiate the most affordable cost and it directs out services that could not be required for your circumstance. Utilize this procedure to recognize your best choice.
- Enjoy your truck rental price quote like a hawk. Make sure you take out your calculator and fully approximate the cost of the base rental, gas mileage, fuel, fees and various other costs. You could be shocked as to how high the last total amount could be. Make certain to look around and also bargain the very best cost.
- Consider choices. Explore "you pack" relocating services, where you lots as well as unload the relocating container yourself as well as only pay for the real transportation expenses. This is an excellent choice if you can convince loved ones to assist with the physical moving of boxes as well as furnishings.
- Hold a backyard sale. Yes, I recognize this sounds foolish. You are pressed for time as well as do not assume it could elevate much loan. Nevertheless, by selling items you'll no more require in your new area, you'll minimize the price of your action AND put from several hundred to over a thousand bucks in your pockets.
- Look for free relocating boxes. New moving boxes are the most effective, however there are options. This one is challenging for two factors: the incorrect kind of boxes could damage or bring dust and insects into your new residence, so avoid food store create boxes as well as the like. Rather, attempt copy paper boxes, your regional alcohol shop (their boxes have the tendency to be really solid), book shops (all their books be available in publication boxes as well as larger) as well as your public library. NOTE: I advise you do buy 2 kinds of new boxes: "cell" boxes for holding glasses from the kitchen and also closet boxes for packing garments, because they are invaluable and are tough to find totally free.
Follow these 7 tips as well as you'll be well on your method to saving up to a number of thousands of bucks on your following action or relocation.