Hiring a good moving company is vitally important when it comes to reducing stress levels when moving home. So what do you need to look for in a company to give you that added assurance that things will run smooth on the day of your move?
- Use a reputable company
- Careful packaging
Before the date of your move, it is likely you will receive a visit from the company you will be hiring. This is your chance to ask all the questions you need to ensure you have the peace of mind in knowing that your belongings are in good hands.
A good tip is to write down what you want to know before the day you meet with the company, this way you won’t forget anything. Write down anything that comes to mind regardless of how obvious some of the questions might be.
The more preparation that goes into your move the less stress you feel when it comes to the day of your move.
Coopersburg Moving Companies – Get Moving!
Summer time is prime moving time for families. Many families save big cross country moves until summer so their kids won't miss any school. One parent may have already started working in another city or state, but they commute back and forth every week until it is time for the big move.
My family has moved three times in the last two years and I moved all the time as a kid, so I consider myself a moving expert. Whether you are planning your first move or your tenth, it will go more smoothly with some advance planning. I have put together a moving check-list by month to keep you from forgetting important information.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE
* You don't need to fill the moving van with items you don't need anymore. Clean out your old house by having a garage sale and donating items that don't sell to a charity.
* Call your friends and family and schedule time with them before you move. Put the dates on a calendar. Your life will get crazy and you want to make time to see everyone before you move.
* Meet with several moving companies and obtain estimates. Ask for references from previous clients before choosing a moving company.
* If you are packing yourself you need to start collecting boxes for the move. You always need more than you think. YOu will also need plenty of packing tape.
* Buy a special notebook or binder to keep all of the important move information. You can keep the phone number of realtors, moving companies, utilities, schools, etc. in one handy location.
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
* Begin gathering all of the school and medical records you need for your family. The schools in your new town will need records from the previous school. Gather records from doctors and dentists to take to your new doctors. It is much easier to get them now, than to try to get them later. Don't forget to get pet records from your veterinarian.
* Fill out a change of address card at the post office. Send postcards to friends and relatives announcing your new address.
* Tell the following businesses about your new address:
Credit card companies
Magazines or newspapers you subscribe to
Employer (to forward last paycheck)
* Start packing basements or little used areas of your house such as the attic or the garage.
* Set up bank accounts in your new city.
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
* Make any special arrangements for the day of the move for your children or your pets. While the boxes are being loaded onto the moving van you may want pets and very small children to stay with relatives or a babysitter for the day. The house will be wide open, the air will be off and there will be a lot of noise and confusion. Once my cat was bubblewrapped inside a sofa during a moving day. It took a long time to figure out where she was.
* Get valuables out of your safe deposit box. Keep them with you during the move. Have the money from your existing bank accounts wired to your new accounts. It may take another week or two for all of your checks to clear so you can close out old accounts.
* Set up a date to turn off your old utilities and turn on the utilities at the new house. Don't forget to subscribe to the paper in your new town if you read a paper every morning. If you have been a good utility customer you should be able to get your deposits back.
* Start using the food in the refrigerator so there won't be much left on the day of the move. Defrost your freezer and clean out the refrigerator.
DAY OF THE MOVE
* Have a box of items that need to come off the moving truck first. This box will contain cleaning supplies, brooms, dustpans, etc. You will probably need to clean up some of the rooms in your new house before the boxes are unloaded.
* Double-check every closet, cupboard, and room before you lock up the house and leave.
* Tip your movers before they leave in the moving van. Moving is hard work and they deserve it.
Moving and Storage Options
Moving is not just a difficult procedure, it can also be a really expensive one. If you utilize professional movers, the total price can range from around $1,000 (for a little, regional relocation) to greater than $20,000 (for a large, cross-country or worldwide action).
Below a couple of ideas on conserving money on your move:
- Produce a budget plan. Utilize a spending plan to note all the costs of your forthcoming relocation, including all the line things from any type of price quotes you obtain. Then use this as a preparation device to choose the most effective deal at the most effective price.
- Shed some weight. A lot of the cost is driven by the weight of the products moved. That suggests that eliminating things from your relocation (especially heavy products like old furniture and also publications) could decrease the last tab considerably. Objective to lower the total amount by 1/3.
- Get at least 3 in-home price quotes. Having reliable companies complete for your organisation does 2 things: it aids you discuss the most affordable price and it mentions services that might not be essential for your scenario. Utilize this process to identify your ideal option.
- Watch your truck rental quote like a hawk. Make certain you draw out your calculator and fully approximate the price of the base rental, mileage, gas, fees as well as other costs. You may be shocked regarding just how high the final total amount could be. Be certain to search as well as negotiate the finest cost.
- Take into consideration choices. Explore "you pack" moving solutions, where you tons as well as discharge the relocating container yourself as well as only spend for the actual transport prices. This is an excellent alternative if you can convince family and friends to assist with the physical moving of boxes and also furniture.
- Hold a garage sale. Yes, I recognize this seems silly. You are pushed for time and don't believe it could elevate much money. However, by selling products you'll not need in your brand-new place, you'll minimize the cost of your relocation AND ALSO put from several hundred to over a thousand dollars in your pockets.
- Search for cost-free removaling boxes. New moving boxes are the very best, yet there are choices. This is difficult for 2 reasons: the wrong sort of boxes could damage or bring dirt as well as insects right into your new residence, so guide clear of grocery store create boxes and so on. Rather, attempt copy paper boxes, your regional liquor shop (their boxes often tend to be very solid), book shops (all their books come in book boxes and also larger) as well as your local library. KEEP IN MIND: I suggest you do purchase two sort of brand-new boxes: "cell" boxes for holding glasses from the kitchen and wardrobe boxes for packing garments, because they are invaluable as well as are hard to find absolutely free.
Adhere to these 7 tips and also you'll be well on your means to saving approximately a number of thousands of dollars on your following step or moving.